What do you want? Surely for the best day in your life, you want the best wedding photographer in Kanata. The first step is for the two of you to ask yourselves what exactly you want and write this down. What style do you like? Documentary, candid, traditional, editorial or something else? Are the posed photos really important to you or is it more important to get ‘natural’ images of your family and friends during the day? Does it matter if your photographer is a woman or a man? Do you want to document yourself ‘getting ready’ for the big day? Do you want an album or framed prints?
- Research online: Look up wedding photographers in Kanata and read reviews from previous clients. You can also check out their portfolios to see if their style matches your preferences.
- Ask for recommendations: Ask friends, family, or your wedding planner for recommendations on wedding photographers they have worked with before. You can also ask photographers to share the contact details of previous clients who would be willing to give feedback. If they don’t then you should probably look elsewhere.
- Check their experience: Look for a photographer who has experience shooting weddings and has a good track record of capturing special moments and creating beautiful images. I recommend asking a photographer you are interested in to show you a full set of images from a couple of weddings. The reason for this is that their featured images may be great, but their other ones could be awful. Also, some people steal other photographers’ images to start a dodgy business, so this will help you be sure you aren’t working with a scammer.
- Meet with them in person and trust your instinct. Schedule a consultation with the photographer to get to know them and their style. This person will be with you all day long on a very important day and you don’t want to feel irritated or annoyed by their presence. You don’t need to become friends with this person, but you do need to feel comfortable around them during some very personal and emotional moments.
- Discuss pricing and packages: Be clear about your budget and what you expect from your photographer. Ask about their packages and what is included in each one. Many photographers will only offer digital files in their cheapest package. While you might save money in the short term, digital files can easily become corrupted or lost. If you can afford prints and an album, it’s the safest option to avoid losing these precious records of your important day.